Traveling in a kayak can be such a thrill ride for anyone looking for an exciting adventure. Before venturing off on your kayak excursion, it is important to have a plan in place. Follow this beginners guide to kayaking for some helpful tips and tricks.
When searching for a kayak to purchase, it is important to figure out what kind you want. For couples, 2 person kayaks are the perfect choice. Make sure to take size and shape into consideration when searching for your kayak. You want it to be as comfortable as possible for your expedition. A 6 foot sit in kayak might be just the one you need. Maybe you’re looking for the best compact kayak.
Cost is also a major factor in choosing your new kayak. It is imperative that you conduct some pertinent research beforehand. The average cost of a kayak will give you an idea of where to come from. Safety is the number one priority when you are purchasing a kayak. You don’t want to break the bank, but you will want to make sure that it is high quality. Take all of these tips into consideration before you begin your kayaking adventure.
Fishing is popular around the United States. Kayaking is also a popular activity. Many people like to combine the two and you then have kayak fishing. This can be a lot of fun but takes some effort to get used to fishing off of this kind of boat. When people start out, they are often more interested in fishing than learning how to handle themselves. Over the past few years, New Orleans swamp kayak tours have taken off in their popularity.
If you like to fish and want to learn how to fish from a kayak, there are some things you can do to make the experience more fun and catch more fish at the same time.
- Start out by taking some classes. This will help you learn the proper stroke technique. You should also learn what to do if and when you fall off of your boat. Some people also take surf classes so when they voyage out further, they can take care of themselves. It is always good to have some self rescue techniques down before you head out onto the water.
- Be prepared to get wet. You should be ready to swim. The chances are good that you will end up in the water so you should have your personal floatation device life jacket on but there is more to being ready to fall in the water than that. You should wear clothing that will be comfortable even when it is wet. You should also have your bathing suit on under your other clothing.
- Dress for the climate where you are fishing. In colder climates, such as the Chesapeake Bay or in Louisiana in colder months, you should wear layers. You may want to go with a wet suit. If you are in a warmer climate, such as Louisiana in the summer or south Florida, you should wear clothes that dry quickly. Often people think that shorts and a cotton t-shirt work well for this but, in reality, that is not the case.
- Connect all your gear to your boat. This is called “rigging to flip.” Basically, there is a good chance that your boat is going to flip over. You do not want to lose the gear you have with you when that happens. You need item that will definitely float so you can find them or that are connected to your boat some way. You should never go fishing without a dry bag. That is a bag that keeps certain items, such as your cell phone, nice and dry.
- Always remember that your body will follow your head. What does that mean? It means you ned to keep your head upright and centered over the boat. Fail to do this and you will be stuck on a kayak that rocks to and fro and you end up capsized and wet. Many people have found themselves in the water simply because they turned around to look at something or to grab a piece of gear.
- Make sure you have enough line. Experts in this kind of fishing recommend having a rod’s length of line to have the best experience. If you have the right amount of line, you will be able to get hold of your lure or fish. This just makes the process much easier for you.
- Bring enough water. You will be surrounded by water but it is not what you should drink. If you are an avid fisher or spend a lot of time out on the water, you already should know that you will need to stay hydrated. When you are out kayak fishing, it is all too easy to become dehydrated. You are active and even if the day is hazy, you get a lot of sun. This means you need to drink more water to stay adequately hydrated.
- Bring sunscreen. When you are out on the water, you get the sun from the sky and then the sun that reflects off of the water that is all around you. You can get a bad sunburn even when you are out fishing on a cloudy day. Bring your sunscreen and apply it often.
Kayak fishing is fun if you take some time to learn the basics.