If you are planning a trip, it is hard to beat a trip to Israel. The history and religious significance of the region cannot be overstated. There are a lot of great reasons to hop a flight to Israel but there are some things you should do to make your trip go really well.
- Pay attention to the history. It is no secret that Israel has sites that have unrivaled historical significance. Knowing that, before you plan travel to the area, you would be well served to learn more about the region and the sites you will see. Knowing what to look at and for before you go will make your trip to the area more meaningful.
- Check the State Department website. There is no question that travel to Israel can be a very meaningful experience to a number of people. There are sometimes political considerations to make when you plan to visit the holy sites in the country. You also need to make sure you avoid making mistakes that will not ruin your trip but may be embarrassing. Knowing more about the area will only enhance your visit to Israel. The United States Department of State lists problem areas around the world and when you travel to the Middle East, it is a good idea to check to make sure you know what the situation in Israel is like before you take a flight there.
- Remember the Shabbat. It can be hard to travel to and around Israel on Friday night and Saturday. That is the traditional Shabbat. It begins every Friday at sunset and goes through sunset on Saturday. Devout Jewish people are not supposed to do work during this time and as a consequence, many businesses are closed. The good news is that many hotels throughout the country offer some amazing meals during the weekly Shabbat.
- Pack the right clothing. In the first place, the Middle East is a sunny place. In addition to packing the right sunscreen, you should think about clothing options to cover yourself and get protected from the sun. You also need to think about the cultural implications of what you are wearing. This is more important for women than for men. When you are visiting any of the religious areas, women should wear clothing that covers their legs, arms and chest. If they have them, the men on your trip should wear their kippa when visiting these sites. If they do not have their own, they will be given to them by the site.
- Plan your transportation. You need to think about more than just your flight to the country. If you are looking to spend any time looking around the northern part of the country, you will need to hiring a car to get around. Throughout the rest of the area, they have a great bus system that can help you see the sites while not spending a lot of money doing it.
- Enjoy the food. If you are a foodie, you will love Israel. The food throughout Israel may cost more but it is worth it. If you want to get a glimpse of what life is like as a local, check out the farmers’ markets. You will find some of the best falafel, humus and fresh produce you will ever experience.
- Consider staying in a hostel. If you are on a budget and want to have a great experience while you are in Israel, you may want to consider one of the many hostels they have around the country. The hostels in Israel are a lot less expensive and they are really spectacular. They are at least worth a look see.
Every year, millions of people hop on flights bound for Israel. In addition to all of the people who want to take in the sights and sounds of one of the most historic places on the planet, thousands of people travel to the country to claim their birthright citizenship. In 2015, at least 45,000 people made the journey to do this. When you take the time to properly prepare for your trip to Israel, you can make sure it is as memorable and spectacular as you hope it will be.