In 2016, nearly 10.3 million people went to Ireland. The island nation is the third largest island in Europe. It is home to more than 4.58 million people. It is a wonderful place to visit. Whether you are looking for an Ireland castle vacation or just want to take one of the best tours of Ireland, there are some things you can do to make the most of your visit. The Culture Trip compiled this list of things Americans should do when they do to the country.andnbsp;
- You do not have to pay sales tax. In Europe, they call their sales tax a “value-added tax” or “VAT.” The good news for people traveling to Europe is that that if you are not from Europe, you are not required to pay it. In Ireland, you can get a Fexco Horizon card before you get there and use that to get your taxes back when you leave the country. Even if you do not use this kind of card, you can get your taxes back at the airport.
- Think about renting a car. There are other ways to take a great castle vacation but the country is small enough to make renting a car worthwhile if you are going to try to see a lot of it. If you only want to see the main tourist spots such as the Blarney Castle and the Guinness brewery, you can get along with just taking buses and the like. If you want to get more of a sense of what it is like to be Irish, a car can get your farther.
- Look into the restrictions for baggage. Depending on the airline you are taking to and from Ireland, you may have a different set of restrictions on what you can carry on board than you are used to elsewhere. Some airlines such as Aer Lingus and Ryanair only let people get on with one bag for free, if you bring more than that, you will be subject to a fee. To be on the safe side, you should talk to your airline before you go to the airport.
- Pay attention to your tips. There are some parts of Europe where tipping is just not done. Ireland is not one of those countries. When you are on your Ireland castle vacation, there will be times when you will want to tip. If you are traveling with a large group and go out to eat, the establishment may add a tip to your bill. If they do not do this, most people tip between 10% and 12%, though you can give more if the service was really great. Other times you may want to tip 10% or more are when you take a cab or have your hair done.
- Dress in layers. This is a good habit to get into when you travel just about anywhere. In Ireland, the climate inland is a bit different from the climate on the coasts. There are also a lot of great hikes you can take all over the island and dressing so that you can layer up and remove laters as you walk can make you more comfortable.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Again, this advice is good for Ireland castle vacations and travel pretty much everywhere. Ireland is a beautiful place to get some great walking done. As you move from place to place, your feet will thank you if they are in comfortable shoes.
- Get yourself a Heritage Card. If you plan to really go all out on your Ireland castle vacation and see everything, you should invest in one of these. They cost about 25 Euros and will get you into all of the heritage sites that are managed by the government for free. Look at your itinerary and decide if this will save you some money.
Ireland is a beautiful place with a rich history. Taking an Ireland castle vacation can be a very rewarding way to enjoy the country and get to know the people who call it home. By taking some time before you head out, you can have a more meaningful experience traveling throughout Ireland.